Phonics & Reading
- Kids Zone - This looks like a fun site for younger learners.
- Starfall is a free learn-to-read phonics website primarily designed for kindergarten through second grade. It is a great resource for struggling readers. Starfall offers beginning readers interactive books, games, videos (complete with fun reading strategy songs). Starfall also offers free downloads of their printed materials which include short readers, writing and phonics journals, and more. The printed materials make classroom learning more fun and inspire a love of reading and writing.
- Saxon phonics
- Storyline Online -This website is an online reading program featuring actors from the Screen Actors Guild Foundation. Stories are read by actors such as Elijah Wood, Haley Duff, Amanda Bynes, Al Gore and many others.
- Silly Books uses free animated musical cartoon books to encourage children ages 3 - 13 to read. Kids log on to www.sillybooks.net , click on a colorful book cover, and then watch and listen to the cartoon. Hundreds of books are available, including those with lesson plans, art and music, and learning games and puzzles. Students and adults can also submit their own stories to be features as animated storybooks on the web site.
- GameGoo - Educational Games
- Wall of Words - Building Sentences
- Treasure Trove - contractions
- BBC - Schools - 4 to 11 years Literacy
- Pick a Story
- FunBrain.com - The Plural Girls
- Funbrain.com - Sign the Alphabet
- FunBrain.com - 2Bee or Nottoobee
- Sentence Clubhouse
- Grammar Girls - Who said grammar isn't fun? Grammar Girl is a free web site that takes a lighthearted approach to helping students brush up on grammar. Students can either read the material or listen to podcasts on topics such as "like" versus "as" "good versus well" , and more. It's all at Grammar Girls.
- Games for learning and teaching English. ELT, ESL
- BBC - Skillswise - Games
- Free Rice is an amazing website that I have posted about two or three times in the past. It has been a site where students can play a vocabulary game and earn 20 grains of rice for each correct answer. The grains of rice are distributed to hungry people all over the world through the UN World Food Program. Two of my students came in this morning with a printout of how many grains of rice they had earned over the weekend on the Free Rice website (we have a contest going each year to see which class and grade can earn the most grains of rice). They were unusually excited about this bunch of earned rice because they discovered some new features on Free Rice. Free Rice is now much more than a vocabulary game! Students can choose the subject they would like to play. As they increase in all types of knowledge, there is the added bonus of helping people in need. Free Rice subjects now include art (famous paintings), chemistry (chemical symbols), English grammar, geography (world capitals), language learning (French, German, Italian, Spanish), math (multiplication), and of course…vocabulary! Free rice is an incredible place for students to practice facts for a wide range of subject areas. Some additional new features: now students can click on a speaker next to a word to hear it read to them and can change the level of difficulty manually! I am so impressed with the site and impressed with my students for finding and sharing these new treasures!
- Help Me 2 Learn: Grammar is an outstanding way for students to learn the difference between nouns, pronouns, verbs and adjectives.
- Funbrain.com Spelling
- Spelling City - We are an online spelling program that makes practicing for spelling tests fun. What makes SpellingCity.com so special? It contains over 30,000 words, including plurals, contractions, past and future tenses. It uses a REAL person's voice to say the word and use the word in a sentence. Teachers and parents can enter and save spelling lists for their students or children. Students can play games with their words or any word list.