First, take a realistic look at your strengths, weaknesses, and interests.
- What do you think about yourself?
- What can help you achieve your goals, and what obstacles could get in your way?
- What types of work and school courses and activities appeal to you? What interests you?
- What do you do well now, and what skills have you gained through experience?
- What values do you have regarding work?
Second, explore your options.
- Talk to your parents.
- Use ACT's DISCOVER program to explore possible careers.
- Spend time with people whose activities interest you.
- Volunteer or work in a job that interests you.
- Discuss your career and educational plans with your parents or other interested people.
Finally, consider issues that can affect your plans.
- What do you need to study?
- What schools offer the training you need?
- How will you pay for school?
- Are you ready to search for a job?
- How will you balance your work and going to school?
- How will you manage family or relationship commitments?