Literature Circles is a reading and discussion method that encourages students to interact with a text in a variety of ways. Students are given a particular job to do each week related to the assigned reading, and each student will share his or her job during the Literature Circle meeting. This enables the students to focus on different aspects of the text each week and bring their own unique thoughts, backgrounds, and insights to the group. It is a fun, interactive way to study literature and make meaningful connections to the text.
Who: This course is offered to all students in the 5th, 6th, or 7th grade.
When: Class will meet either Monday or Tuesday afternoons at 2:00. This course will meet for one hour, once a week for 12 weeks beginning the week after Labor Day. *Please indicate which day you prefer on the registration form.
Where: This course will meet at the home of the instructor.(Off Tyler Road in Vestavia)
Instructor: Monica Merrill
Monica Merrill has her Bachelor’s Degree in Education from Auburn University and her Masters in Education from UAB. She taught for 6 years in Homewood and has spent the past four years teaching homeschooled students. She has three children, ages 4, 3, and 1.
Class Size: This class will have a minimum of 8 students and a maximum of 12.
Cost: $95.00 for the 12 week class + $15 registration/supply fee
Please note: We will be reading 3 books during this 12 week course. A list will be sent home in early August.
- Cultivate a love for reading.
- Gain confidence and experience discussing Literature in a meaningful way.
- Study literature that relates to different time periods and events in history.
- Analyze literature using Scripture to help build a solid Christian worldview.
- Expand and strengthen the students’ vocabulary.
- Recognize common themes and threads in a variety of literary pieces.
- Identify and analyze literary elements such as theme, character, plot, and point of view.
- Identify key points and summarize sections of a text.
- Identify and understand figurative language.
- Identify the various genres of literature within our study and their primary characteristics.
If you would like any additional information or have any questions, feel free to contact Monica Merrill at email@example.com or 587-6565.
Reserve your spot today! If you are interested in taking this course, please e-mail Monica Merrill to reserve a place in the class. Complete and mail the registration form attached to this course description. Click here for form