Why Are Children Being Handcuffed at School?
- One student was handcuffed all day for not wearing a belt. He even had to eat his lunch handcuffed.
- Another student was handcuffed for hours for greeting a friend too loudly in the hallway.
- A third student was handcuffed for wearing the wrong colored shoes.
- In July 2010, the Southern Poverty Law Center filed a lawsuit against officials at a Louisiana school for repeatedly handcuffing and shackling a 6-year-old child.
- In May 2010, Police handcuffed a 10-year-old boy with autism at Oberon Public School in Geelong, Australia.
- In December 2008, an 8-year-girl with Asperger's was handcuffed because she refused to take off a sweatshirt that she wanted to wear to the Christmas party.
- In April 2011, a 7-year-old boy was handcuffed when he became upset while decorating Easter eggs at Public School 153 in Maspeth Long Island.
- In 2004, a 10-year-old in Philidelphia was handcuffed and taken to a police station for having scissors in her bag, even though she hadn't threatened anyone with them or even displayed them.