Blount County Solar Home Tour
October 5 and 6, 2013
• The Solar Tour is a 3 ½ + hour tour that includes visiting 4 solar houses plus an optional bonus house, a brown bag lunch discussion and a film.
• The 4 solar homes have unique designs, one was built with straw bale, another one is a Dudeca –Yurt, one has clerestory and another one is built underground. If you arrive 30 minutes early you may see other items of interest such as: organic garden, vermi-composting, rain water catchment, grey water, solar dehydrator,
• We offer 3 tours at 9 am or 2 pm Saturday October 5, and at 2 pm Sunday October 6.
• Dress comfortably and bring water to drink.
• Wear comfortable walking shoes for about a mile walk. Arrangements can be made for those unable to walk that distance. Two of the houses are fairly wheel-chair friendly.
• There will be a brown bag lunch discussion at noon on Saturday. All are welcome to stay after the Saturday morning tour or come early before the afternoon tour. Bring your lunch and join us. We will provide lemonade. At 1 pm the film Kilowatt Ours will be shown.
• For those coming on Sunday the same film will be shown at 1 pm.
• Questions? Call Lacey @ 205-215-6133 or email SolarTourAlabama@gmail.com
• To register, please email the information requested below. Confirmation and directions to the tour site will be sent upon registration. The same 4 houses are covered on all tours with different starting points.
• Our driveways and guides are able to handle only so many people, so we may need to limit registration. Please let us know if the number of people in your party changes. We want everyone to register, so when you receive the directions, please do not share them with others not registered in your party.
• Bonus tour! Our neighbors (Pat Lyles and Rick Trescott) have installed a 5.76 kw battery grid-tie PV system. They sell their excess electricity to Alabama Power by day, purchase power at night, and have battery back-up when the grid is down. To visit the Lyles-Trescott house, located about 10 minutes away:
- If you register for Saturday at 9 am, the Lyles-Trescott tour will be at 2 pm (after the brown bag lunch);
- If you register for the 2 pm Saturday Tour, the Lyles-Trescott tour will be at 11 am (before the brown bag lunch)
- If you register for Sunday it will be at 12 noon before the 1 pm Kilowatt Ours film and the 2 pm tour.
• For general information on all National Solar Tours go to: http://www.ases.org – click on “National Solar
To register, copy, paste and email the following information to SolarTourAlabama@gmail.com
Preferred Tour time: ( ) Saturday 9 am, ( ) Saturday 2 pm, or ( ) Sunday 2 pm
( ) Yes, we plan to be there for noon lunch, film and discussions on Saturday. We provide lemonade; bring your own lunch.
( ) Yes, we plan to arrive at 1 pm on Sunday to see the film. Solar Tour provides lemonade.
( ) Yes, we plan to visit the Lyles-Trescott house ( ) Saturday 11 am, ( ) Saturday 2 pm or ( ) Sunday at noon.
• Number of people in your party:
• Name of contact person:
• City/town: County: State:
• How did you learn about us?
• The American Solar Energy Society will send an email evaluation survey after the tour.
May we share your email address with the ASES for this purpose? ( ) yes ( ) no