Map & Compass Class
McFarland Park in Florence
- Learn how to read topographic lines and other basic features on a map.
- Orient a map to match the environment both with and without a compass.
- Learn basic compass features and how to utilize the map with a compass.
- How to plot your current position on your map.
- Use a map a compass to navigate to new locations and build confidence in your skills.
The class will last about an hour and end with a fun treasure hunt letting the children use their skills.
The class will be taught by fellow homeschooler, Summer McCreless. She has been an avid hiker/backpacker for many years. Summer has also previously taught Map and Compass with Alabama Outdoors and was an instructor with Outward Bound.
Your child will need a compass similar to this.
The cost of the class is $10 for first child and $5 for additional children.
200 James M. Spain Dr.
We will meet at the first pavilion on the camping side of the park. Near the restrooms.
Contact Darlakayhicks@aol.com if you would like to attend or have any questions. Payment may also be sent via PayPal to that email address.