- Don't read everything or buy anything the first month you begin homeschooling. It's too overwhelming. Instead, get a feel for what your child needs, arm yourself with the knowledge you need to seek out those resources, and then shop.
- Homeschooling gives you the freedom to do what works for your children and family, so there is no wrong or right way--do what fits!
- My advice to new homeschoolers? Relax. Bundle up with some really good books and a great math curriculum. Get to know how your children learn and let them get to know you as a teacher. It's a marathon, not a sprint!
- Enjoy the days! Smile at your kids even when you don't feel like it, and read to them or with them every chance you get.
- You need support, find a good support group for you and your kids. It will help you through the tough times that you will have at times.
- Relax, this is a journey but it's not a race. If you are not careful to shed the "school mentality" you'll "should" yourself and your kids to death.
- Each child is different....each family is different and what works in your family for 1 child may not work for the other. Be ready for fruit-basket turnover and you will be able to handle it.
- If you are scared you don't know the material to be covered, study it for yourself. Find a friend to encourage and/or help in your weak areas, and don't be afraid to join together to cover some subjects.
- Don't give up. It does get better the second year.
- Don't expect to get a curriculum and not have to do some "fine-tuning". I haven't found one yet that I didn't have to add something to it to make it work for my kids.
Hey Homeschoolers! I am working on making a resource for new homeschoolers where they ask the questions and veteran homeschoolers give the answers. My goal is to provide advice, resources, and most of all to show that there is more than one way of doing things.
Please contact me with your answer to the following question. I have already included answers that folks sent me on Facebook. Please let me know if you do not want me to include your name in the posting. Please give as much info as possible including links, details, explanations, etc... I will add your answers to this page so that new homeschoolers will have a resource to refer back to again and again.
You can contact me at email@example.com with your questions and answers. Please put "Blog Challenge" in the subject line.
Everest Academy Administrator
Question: What one piece of advice would you give to new homeschoolers?